From: T +AFs-mailto:vicpeng+AEA-vtcg.com+AF0-
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 1998 10:21 PM
To: seaoc+AEA-seaoc.org
Subject: Re: Need +ACI-Flitch-plate+ACI- design example

Bruce

Agreed.  I generally find a greater number of connectors near the end.  I
also usually specify a double (or staggered) row of connectors, not just on
the neutral axis.  The adding of a side plate may, as I noted before, add
torsional complexities due to relative stiffnesses taking the centre of
shear out from the section centroid and therefore needs greater care in
applying simplistic analysis.  Also as you pointed out the stability of the
plate itself may be compromised by being on the outside but again good bolt
detailing can minimize the problem.  I still think that the flitch plate can
be used in most simple cases by considering the collection as a simple
transformed section without too much worry.

Thor

+AD4-Thor
+AD4-
+AD4-Sorry,  but I always use the critical bolting for either plate buckling or
+AD4-for horizontal shear.  True composite action can only be acheived for
proper
+AD4-horizontal shear transfer.   Otherwise the combined action depends on the
+AD4-end bearing situation and the relative stiffness of the respective
elements.
+AD4-This clearly will be satisfactory in many cases.
+AD4-
+AD4-In the case under consideration I assume the an existing timber beam has to
+AD4-be supplemented.  (I have deleted the original message so stand to be
+AD4-corrected.)  In this case the end bearing is likely to be through the
+AD4-timber.  Then a load transfer operation is required for the steel plate to
+AD4-be effective. E.G. jack up the timber beam, fix the flitch plate and
release
+AD4-the beam for the load transfer onto the composite section.   And for the
+AD4-steel plate to be properly utilised the horizontal shear transfer needs to
+AD4-take place.  At the beam ends I often find that the shear transfer  governs
+AD4-bolt spacing,  and then in the timber/bolt bearing stress.
+AD4-
+AD4---------------------------------------------------
+AD4-Bruce Shephard, Principal Consultant Seismic Risk
+AD4-Opus International Consultants, New Zealand
+AD4-DD Telephone  4 4717597,  Fax  4 4711397
+AD4-Email bruce.shephard+AEA-opus.co.nz
+AD4---------------------------------------------------

+ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKg- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAq-
+ACo-   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
+ACo-   Association of California (SEAOC) email server. To
+ACo-   subscribe (no fee) to the list, send email to
+ACo-   admin+AEA-seaoc.org and in the body of the message type
+ACo-   +ACI-join seaoc+ACI- (no quotes). To Unsubscribe, send email
+ACo-   to admin+AEA-seaoc.org and in the body of the message
+ACo-   type +ACI-leave seaoc+ACI- (no quotes). For questions, send
+ACo-   email to seaoc-ad+AEA-seaoc.org. Remember, any email you
+ACo-   send to the list is public domain and may be reposted
+ACo-   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
+ACo-   site at: http://www.seaoc.org
+ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACo- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAq- +ACoAKgAqACoAKgAqACoAKg-