From: Ed Marshall [mailto:elmarshall(--nospam--at)HASimons.com]
Sent: Friday, May 15, 1998 10:07 AM
To: 'seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org'
Subject: RE: "Flitch-plate"

Bill,

"Standard" flitch plates run the full length of the beam.  When used as
a beam to support floor joists, the 2x wood members are typically on the
outside with the joists framing into them (using a ledger or joist
hangers).  The load is shared with the steel plate by transferring load
in shear with through bolts.  At the ends the plate as well as the wood
typically bears on the same support but sufficient bolts are usually
furnished to transfer most the load back into the wood (since it has a
larger bearing area).  Architectural Graphic Standards, 9th edition (and
probably earlier editions as well), has an illustration on page 295,
Lintels for Wide Openings (Rough Carpentry - Framing Details for
Openings)

Ed Marshall, PE