Re: Composite/Light gauge construction

John,

I would agree with your lack of a "warm fuzzy" feeling in this case. As a
designer you can rely on the State Building Code as your base. In many cases
this "legal" code will refer to "technical" codes for the design of a
particular assembly. Light gauge structural steel members are designed to
the AISI code (1996 edition). There are no requirements in this code
referring to the
composite construction. This means that you can not use the code to prove
any calculations that you (or "the person designing the light gauge") will
prepare for a composite construction with light gauge steel beams.

The other option you have is to prove the validity of this design to the
building inspector (and yourself) using experimental data or some research
paper on the subject (there were several studies at the University of
Missouri-Rolla in the 80s for example).
If you need these references, please e-mail me and I will provide them.

The bottom line is, however,  that the light gauge design may prove to be
more economical even without composite design just by using these connectors
as the top flange lateral restraints and thus reducing the effect of
lateral-torsional buckling (and simplifying the calculations for the
capacity of the members).

If you need additional information, please contact me directly.

Regards,
Garrick Goldenberg, P.E.
ATIR Engineering Software
24 Fairfax Road
Needham, MA 02192
Tel. 1.800.644.6441
(for int'l calls 781.444.9944)
Fax 781.444.3464
email: garrick(--nospam--at)atir.com
For the latest news about STRAP, check our web site
http://www.atir.com/whatnew.html