RE: Canopy Roof Wind Load

Lew -
  Prior to receiving your post, I reviewed "Wind Engineering" by Henry
Liu(1991). Pages 81, 82 and 83 address the effects of wind across
free-standing roofs. Four conditions are addressed: 1. Roof plane horizontal
- not much uplift; however, large pressure fluctuations occur above and
below roof(due to development of turbulent boundary layer). May cause
vibration. 2. Roof is leaning in leeward direction - pressure differential
results in downward thrust. 3. Roof is leaning in windward direction -
Pressure differential results in upward thrust. 3. Gabled roof - Combination
of downward thrust on windward side roof and upward thrust on leeward side
roof results in counterclockwise torque on roof.

  The above tends to support your suggestion about heeding note #2 of Table
6-6. However, if i were to apply a wind load at an angle of -10 degrees to
the flat roof, could a significant increase in uplift be expected?

Charlie