RE: Site specific response spectra

>2. However, if the intent of obtaining a site specific response spectrum is
>to design for the potential of higher than code prescribed forces,
>amplification of code values for elements should be considered.  Since you state that you
>are designing for increased base shear, it appears that it is your intent to
>design for forces beyond code prescribed forces.  (This is not uncommon for
>critical structures.)  In this case, I would consider the code element forces as minimum
forces,
>and I would calculate the acceleration at each level of
>the structure from a dynamic analysis using the site specific response spectrum.
>Then I would base the acceleration of each element on these results.  (I would
>divide the calculated acceleration by the R-factor for design.)
>
>Hope this helps.

This seems to be the logical thing to do.  However, my questions stem from
reading the
recommendations in the Blue Book ('90 edition).  In Section 1G.2 regarding
lateral forces
on elements of structures, there is a statement that reads,"The values of Cp
listed in Table
1-H are for all elements and components (whether rigid or non-rigid) and for
rigid equipment.
It was not held to be necessary that the flexibility of elements and
components be considered
in design.  THUS, ELEMENTS AND COMPONENTS NEED NOT BE CHECKED FOR POSSIBLE
DYNAMIC AMPLIFICATION EFFECTS.  This is because most such elements and
components
are either rigid or at least close to rigid."

Does this mean that the current code equations are already over-conservative
and "scaling up"
the Fp is not necessary?