Soil report seismic acceleration minimums??

     A fellow engineer called me today to ask what others are doing now that
soil reports have expanded into discussing seismic accelerations for design.
     This case is a one story wood frame office in Piru. The soil stated a
maximum near fault earthquake of magnitude 7 with an acceleration of 1.3G .
     My experience plan checking other projects of this type is nearly all (
all . ? ) design for '94 UBC Z= .4G and ignore the soil report . The building
department can only enforce the code with local amendments so this will get a
permit.
    The '97 code will require a 30% increase since it is a near source fault
type b area.
     The engineer wanted my opinion but i was not sure of my advice : Design
to the '97 code requirements since for this type of structure, a 30% increase
is not a significant cost increase and one story wood frame to L.A. city
standards ( Ventura Co requires this ) should do well anyway.
     Is there a way to equate an acceleration from a soil report to a design
force for wood frame?
     I would appreciate any opinions on how you would ( will ? ) handle
similar situations.
     Thanks in advance.

     Tom Harris , SE
     Thousand Oaks, CA

    P.S. Should there be a surcharge for providing '97 code design now (
optional ) since it takes more time?