Re: Soil report seismic acceleration minimums??

Why would a soils report discuss seismic accellerations if site specific
accellerations were not specified as a requirement?   Are the GE's
selling you more than you want to buy?  Find another, or request a
revised report.

Unless the report makes clear the assumptions made to estimate
accellerations, they are of no use, and can just as easily be misused.

Russ Nester
rnester(--nospam--at)juno.com
On Tue, 19 May 1998 22:50:43 EDT Harris3803 <Harris3803(--nospam--at)aol.com> writes:
>     A fellow engineer called me today to ask what others are doing
>now that
>soil reports have expanded into discussing seismic accelerations for
>design.
>     This case is a one story wood frame office in Piru. The soil
>stated a
>maximum near fault earthquake of magnitude 7 with an acceleration of
>1.3G .
>     My experience plan checking other projects of this type is nearly
>all (
>all . ? ) design for '94 UBC Z= .4G and ignore the soil report . The
>building
>department can only enforce the code with local amendments so this
>will get a
>permit.
>    The '97 code will require a 30% increase since it is a near source
>fault
>type b area.
>     The engineer wanted my opinion but i was not sure of my advice :
>Design
>to the '97 code requirements since for this type of structure, a 30%
>increase
>is not a significant cost increase and one story wood frame to L.A.
>city
>standards ( Ventura Co requires this ) should do well anyway.
>     Is there a way to equate an acceleration from a soil report to a
>design
>force for wood frame?
>     I would appreciate any opinions on how you would ( will ? )
>handle
>similar situations.
>     Thanks in advance.
>
>     Tom Harris , SE
>     Thousand Oaks, CA
>
>    P.S. Should there be a surcharge for providing '97 code design now
>(
>optional ) since it takes more time?

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]