RE: Artificial Time Histories Generation

On Wed, 20 May 1998 10:01:00 +0200
Peter Rangelow wrote:
> I contacted NICEE almost an year ago and inquiered about SIMQKE-II.
> They answered that the software costs $5100 for "commercial purposes"
> (see my correspondence below). You can contact NICEE for the most
> recent price at (see for phone and fax numbers bellow):
> 	info(--nospam--at)nisee.ce.berkeley.edu
> I inquired about a cheaper software, here in this list, two weeks ago.
> I was recommended the following software:
>
> (1) PSEQGN, by Ruiz and Penzien, $200 ...
> (2) SYNTH, by Naumoski, $270 ...

I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier.  The program SIMQKE (not
SIMQKE-II) is still available for $100 in the U.S. ($200 abroad) from
NISEE.  According to the person I spoke with at NISEE, the only
significant difference is that SIMQKE-II more correctly attenuates
ground motions away from the site; for most structures the spatial
variation of time history is not significant.  Both programs produce
a suite of ground motions that when averaged match a smoothed
spectrum.  The NISEE representative also indicated that they are
negotiating with Princeton to reduce the cost of SIMQKE-II by an
order of magnitude; the new price should be in place by next month.
You can still order SIMQKE at the original prices.  You can order by
phone by phoning (510) 642-5113.  If you pay by credit card, they
will email the software and mail floppies and manuals.  I ordered
this software today and will try to report on its usefulness after I
find time to try it.

-Mike Valley