Architects Doing Engineering -Enough!

I just got off the telephone with a friend of mine who does architectural
design. Her client, the developer specified the person to do the structural
engineering. Apparently, this person is an architect, but has done
structural engineering for years. This particular project is a 17 house
mini-tract. My friend has gotten the engineering and is pretty shocked by
what she has seen. Mind you, she doesn't know anything about engineering
(nor claims to). All she can do is to compare what she sees and compares it
to the work provided by her "regular" engineer. We discussed the work
briefly and she noticed that there are no hold downs on the entire job (a
few LCBs here and there) as well as 2'-6" shear piers on either side of the
garage openings (with no hold downs). She told me that the developers and
contractors in her area like to use this person because construction costs
are much lower. No doubt. BTW, the project is located in LA County. I
can't/won't get into specifics due to the potential legal issues, but this
is totally absurd. What will it take to get BORPELS to tighten the
regulations on who can do structural engineering (especially in seismic zone
4)?

Regards,
Bill Allen