RE: Architects Doing Engineering -Enough!

This is a case where the situation needs tightened regulations. The code is
written with a lot of loose verbiage. It also omits some very important
requirements such as the prescriptive tables of headers and beam spans.
It was pointed out by a few others on this list that the code was never
revised to add the acknowledged omissions only because the code is in its
last cycle and will be replaced with the IBC. This means that we will have
to wait until at least 2002 or 3 to adopt the IBC and even then, it still
suffers some of the omissions.

You can not act against the Architect in this instance (if the homes are
allowed to be defined within Conventional framing standards) because he is
simply providing compliance to a prescriptive method.
Because he is an architect or engineer does not automatically back him out
of the CF provisions to force him into Chapter 16 compliance. He has the
right to specify the prescriptive method and place his stamp on the
drawings.
This is unfortunate. I doubt that any engineer who places his stamp upon a
drawing would do so for Conventional Framed structures - based upon simply
running a few numbers to learn the discrepancies. Therefore, in this case I
don't think it is an issue of overstepping his proven skills.

Mind you, I do agree with Bill Allen on this issue about BORPELS tightening
the requirements for who can practice structural engineering. This is just
not the right example to use.

Dennis Wish PE