From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 1998 10:33 AM
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject: Re: Architects Doing Engineering -Enough

I agree completely with Tom Chiu!  Well said!

Our responsibility as professional engineers is to protect the life, safety
and welfare of the public.  Sometimes that means doing more than the code
requires, but it never means doing less.  We need to be concerned with
providing safe structures economically, not whether it is economical to
provide safe structures.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Tom Chiu wrote:

. > If I were you, I would not work that kind of Architect with that kind of
. > mentality. Designing illegal seismically unstable (UNSAFE) homes for
. > people, do not made it affordable. It simply translate into more profit
. > for the builders and therefore continuous job inflow for the unethical
. > designers.  A couple of holdowns here and there won't increase the cost
. > that much.

Good luck for your career!