From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 1998 2:16 PM
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject: Re: Architects Doing Engineering -Enough

Could it be that houses built under the conventional framing provisions have
not experienced widespread failures because they have never been subjected
the loads for which they should have been designed?

Could it be that engineer designed houses are more conservative than houses
built under the conventional framing provisions because they are designed
for code prescribed loads?

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Mike Brown wrote:

. > On the other side of the coin, if there are no more failures due to
. > conventional construction as compared to structures that have been
. > engineered, then maybe we are being too conservative.  But, I highly
doubt
. > that this is the case.
. >