RE: Architects Doing Engineering -Enough

The points you make are excellent, especially regarding statistics of
auto accidents, speed limits, etc.
Consider the following caveat emptor to home buyers in the purchase
agreement-

ATTENTION: THIS STRUCTURE WAS NOT DESIGNED IN STRICT ACCORDANCE WITH
ESTABLISHED SEISMIC SAFETY STANDARDS.  FOR AN ADDITIONAL COST OF
$3000.00, THE CONTRACTOR WILL PERFORM  ADDITIONAL ENGINEERED
CONSTRUCTION TO BRING THE STRUCTURE UP TO CURRENT SEISMIC DESIGN
STANDARDS.

CHECK ONE OF THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS

____ I accept the structure as exists.

____ Perform additional engineered construction as required for seismic
safety standards.

The dollar amount is subject to discussion, of course.  Let the buyer be
aware of the situation, and let him decide.

Flame away-