DOG BONE CONNECTION - HELP

FEMA gives you a design procedure to determine the increased forces at the
connection assuming a plastic hinge is formed. The paper 'Ultimate Strength
Considerations for Seismic Design of the Reduced Beam Section, Engineering
Journal/ First Quarter/1997' gives you the guidelines to determine the
properties of the reduced section. I understand how to do the moment
connection, but how can you just reduce a beam section and assume it is
adequate for dead+live+seismic or any load combination that I might have? If
my beam properties are reduced, how can it still be adequate? Is there a check
that I need to perform at the reduced section to find out if the beam is
adequate for my load combinations. Do you know about a design example to
follow?
Thank you