Re: Architects Doing Engineering -Enough

At 12:45 AM 5/22/1998 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 98-05-21 17:22:10 EDT, 73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com  write:
>
>>  Could it be that houses built under the conventional framing provisions
>have
>>  not experienced widespread failures because they have never been
subjected
>>  to  the loads for which they should have been designed?
>>  Could it be that engineer designed houses are more conservative than
houses
>>  built under the conventional framing provisions because they are designed
>>  for code prescribed loads?
>
>Roger is onto something, especially regarding seismic loading.  Reality check
>for readers of this listserv:  Think back to every detached single-family
>house you have lived in the U.S.  It's likely that most of them were of the
>within a few miles of the Hayward and San Andreas faults.  Those houses have
>experienced several earthquakes that have caused damage in the region, but
>none of those houses sustained any damage.
>
>Readers who can answer yes to the question of damaged houses, please
provide a
>short post to this thread.  I'd be surprised if more than a dozen responses
>appear out of the six thousand members of this listserv.
>
>Frank Lew, SE
>Orinda, CA
>
>(I'll skip the motto since Bill Allen referenced it earlier in this thread)

Dear Frank,

I didn't live in this house, but my sister did.  During the Northridge
earthquake, her house lifted off the foundation and moved several feet
sideways and reutrned to earth.  Her house is located in the Silverlake of
Los Angeles (for the non-locals, it is  between Hollywood and Downtown) and
the house was built in the late teens or early twentys, two-story and
featured ship-lap siding instead of the usual stucco.  House had a partial
basement and was located near the top of the hill.  Other houses in the
area, I believe, suffered cracked brick fireplaces.  The house was declared
a total and now she and family
live in an engineered house.

Patrick Rodgers