From:  Patrick Rodgers[SMTP:prodgers(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent:  Friday, May 22, 1998 11:12 AM
To:  seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:  Re: Architects Doing Engineering -Enough

At 12:45 AM 5/22/1998 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 98-05-21 17:22:10 EDT, 73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com
 write:

>>  Could it be that houses built under the conventional framing
provisions
>have
>>  not experienced widespread failures because they have never been
subjected
>>  to  the loads for which they should have been designed?
>>  Could it be that engineer designed houses are more conservative
than
houses
>>  built under the conventional framing provisions because they are
designed
>>  for code prescribed loads?
>
>Roger is onto something, especially regarding seismic loading.
 Reality check
>for readers of this listserv:  Think back to every detached
single-family
>house you have lived in the U.S.  It's likely that most of them were
of the
>within a few miles of the Hayward and San Andreas faults.  Those
houses have
>experienced several earthquakes that have caused damage in the
region, but
>none of those houses sustained any damage.
>
>Readers who can answer yes to the question of damaged houses, please
provide a
>short post to this thread.  I'd be surprised if more than a dozen
>appear out of the six thousand members of this listserv.
>
>Frank Lew, SE
>Orinda, CA
>
>(I'll skip the motto since Bill Allen referenced it earlier in this
thread)

Dear Frank,

I didn't live in this house, but my sister did.  During the
Northridge
earthquake, her house lifted off the foundation and moved several
feet
sideways and reutrned to earth.  Her house is located in the
Silverlake of
Los Angeles (for the non-locals, it is  between Hollywood and
Downtown) and
the house was built in the late teens or early twentys, two-story and
featured ship-lap siding instead of the usual stucco.  House had a
partial
basement and was located near the top of the hill.  Other houses in
the
area, I believe, suffered cracked brick fireplaces.  The house was
declared
a total and now she and family
live in an engineered house.

Patrick Rodgers