Re: glu-lams and termite damage

Roger Turk wrote:

> Mike,
>   Also, at the middle of the span, absent significant wind uplift,

> the top of the beam is in compression which means that finger

> joints are not necessary there.

> Michael Cochran wrote:
>

> . > In my particular case I have an existing glu-lam beam,  50 foot
> backspan
> . > with a 11 foot cantilever that has termite damage at the midspan
> of the
> . > backspan.

Is it safe to assume the load on the cantilever is min.in comparision to
the backspan.  If so, I agree with the
top being in compression, if the 11 ft cantilever is
supporting a balcony, or an A.C. unit, you may have another
situation, outside of wind uplift.

-Pete
"about a 1/2 cents worth."
begin:          vcard
fn:             Peter  Dombrowski
n:              Dombrowski;Peter
org:            Tylk, Gustafson, and Associates
adr:            407 S. Dearborn;;Suite 900;Chicago;Illinois;60605;U.S.A.
email;internet: peterd(--nospam--at)tgaa.com
title:          Engineer
tel;work:       1-312-341-0055 ext. 24
tel;fax:        1-312-341-9966
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0