Re: Architects Doing Engineering -Enough

>The whole concept of earthquake engineering is not to end up as a statistic.
Very well put. In like manner, you can't assume that fire safety isn't
important just because your house hasn't burned down recently. And I'd
liken the problem also to pressure vessel safety. I've heard 'ASME Code
is too conservative--boilers never blow up' a thousand times. But the
reason they don't is that the ASME Code is a summary of lessons learned
the hard way. Unlike the ASME Code experience, structural engineers can
start learning from other things than mangled remains.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw