RE: Architects Doing Engineering -Enough!

>c.. Require civil-civils who wish to do structural engineering pass a
>one problem, long hand test which will clearly demonstrate that the person
>knows how to design and detail a lateral load path (see my sample problem
>previously submitted). The civil engineers who currently practice structural
>engineering full time will have no problem whatsoever with this exam. This
>exam would be proctored and graded by SEs.
And and will this one problem test help grade those who do highway or
rail bridges or machinery supports or ag structures like bins? A single
problem test is way too narrow. Residential construction is important but
homes aren't the only structures and seismic/wind isn't the only hazard.
Nor is any one or two day test a proper classifier of competence.
Engineering registration testing should be far more concerned with first
principles. My guess is that a thoughtfully planned continuing education
requirement will go a helluva lot further toward improving competence
than a one problem make-or-break exam.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw