Re: Architects Doing Engineering -Enough!

In a message dated 98-05-23 16:17:46 EDT, bill(--nospam--at)allendesigns.com write:

>  Isn't this a role for our elected SEAOC representatives?

That's a cop out.  Have you ever served SEAOSC or SEAOC as a director or
officer?  Have you ever stood for election to office?  Have you ever even
considered standing for election?  Then why assume others will do your heavy-
lifting?  If I've misjudged you, and you've actually served, then you know
that a representative's messages, positions and agendas are accorded attention
and respect by other groups in direct proportion to the level of support,
committment, zeal and unity shown by the organization's membership.  And yes,
that often requires both financial as well as time committments from the
members.  Engineers grouse about not getting the respect or fair shake we
deserve, but much of it is our fault.  We want to stick to our knitting, and
leave the messy politics to others.  Until recently, Bill Gates thought he
could do that, too.

Among the things the colorful southern senator, Huey Long, is remembered for
is this ditty, spoken in a syncopated style:  "Don't tax you; don't tax me;
tax that guy behind the tree."  The attitude of many engineers would be
captured if the verb 'tax' is changed to 'count on'.  Frustrating, and sad.
Getting engineers to make common cause is akin to herding cats.  Pogo was
right.

Frank Lew, SE
Orinda, CA