RE: Architects Doing Engineering -Enough!

>As I stated
>earlier, I believe continuing education would be better served by architects
>and contractors. We do plenty every time a new building code comes out.
I didn't phrase my continuing education opinion very well. The benefits
of continuing education come from focussed coursework rather than the
general sorts of cramming people do when they take tests. A 3 day seminar
on the effects of the Northridge Earthquake is better and more effective
for working engineers than a test question or two or even a master's
level course on aseismic design. People who do residential construction
need a far different emphasis than someone who's into manufacturing
facilities or power plants, and they also need exposure to professionals
who do that work on a regular basis.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw