Re: Architects Doing Engineering -Enough!

>  Well, I developed a reasonable plan.

How reasonable is debatable, but the goals and objectives were certainly
unrealistic.  You wrote the equivalent of a letter to the editor in your local
paper.   Most such writers have strong opinions on a subject, and need to vent
them.  Among readers who see the letter, some will nod and say, "Yep, that
makes sense to me".  Then it gets tossed with the rest of the paper into the
recycle bin.  Such missives have no impact because the writers have invested
only some keyboard time, and no other resources or energy to further their
positions.  Typically, they want the govenment, leaders or policy makers to
'do something' about one issue or another.

>  Now you want me to
>  execute the plan myself? As you know by now, I have too strong opinions to
>  hold a political office nor do I have the time since I am running a one man
>  shop (more or less).

I've isolated these rationalizations so they will register distinctly with
listserv readers, who can form their own opinions.  No further comment.

>  I do know that, while paying dues for eighteen years, I have
>  seen very little evidence where the organization has done anything to
>  protect the professional (as opposed to the profession).

There have been continuing debates over the issue of serving the needs of
consulting offices vs. serving the more technical needs of engineers.  I
recall at least two debates on this subject when I was on the SEAONC board .
The reality is that the majority of SEAOC members are employees, not
principals and partners who have a focus on the business side of the
profession.  Such employee members are more interested in activities and
services that focus on the nuts and bolts, and not, for example, mounting an
assault on BORPELS or the AIA.  These folks pay the same dues and deserve just
as much value as you do.

>  Why assume others will do my "heavy lifting"? Frank, that's why I elected
them
>  and pay dues. Just like the members of AIA do.   Just like the members of a
>  representative form of government do.

This analogy goes only so far.  Your officers aren't compensated like elected
representatives to government, nor have that level of authority and influence.
The only 'compensation' they receive is a meal at the monthly board meetings.
Most of them likely are as time-constrained as you are, and perhaps no more
able to allocate time to the good of the profession than you.  Yes, there's a
slight bit of glory attached to holding office, so perhaps we should expect a
bit more effort from them than members in genral.    But not a lot more,
except perhaps from the presidents, who have more glory.

>  Please, Frank, if you can't offer something constructive, please

Perhaps I didn't make it clear in previous postings.  My constructive
suggestion is to save our energies and resources by not tilting at *these
particular* windmills.  Conventional construction still will be allowed in
your grandchildren's time.  So will architects and civil-civils who do an
occasional structural building job in California.  Take it from a long-time
observer of the Sacramento scene.

Frank Lew, SE
Orinda, CA