From: Rhkratzse [mailto:Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 24, 1998 12:44 PM
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject: Re: Conventional Construction (WAS: Architects Doing
Engineering - Regulating

In a message dated 5/23/98 11:10:44 PM, Dennis Wish wrote:
<<The facts are very straight forward - The level of protection, the fact
that

there is a difference in performance that can have a financial impact on the

public - is hidden or concealed by the seller of the home. It is my belief

that the Realtor is unaware of the level of performance their product is

designed to. The builder and/or developer must be responsible for this

knowledge and decision making process.

As with any used car, the level of performance should be rated and disclosed

to the public - not at closing, but in the real-estate records. A simple

brochure can be written by the state that clearly defines the level of

performance with an expected cost of repair to market value for various

types of natural disasters. ... If the developer

wishes to maximize profit at the expense of performance, the public who must

burden the expense of repair has the right to know. ...  Disclosure may help
improve the minimum standards for performance above

the level of Conventional Framing by public demand. Personally, I believe

that the home owner would choose to pay a 0.5% or 1.0% increase in

construction cost to improve performance and reduce the personal liability

when the event occurs. ...
At this time the uninformed home buyer believes that all

homes are built equal and that code compliance protects them from excessive

damage as well as loss of life. This is why so many home owners are angered

when they learn that a home performed as expected by code in spite of the

level of structural damaged it suffered.

Does anyone know of a good, clear, understandable (to the non-engineer),
*published* article covering the above thoughts that could be used as an
educational tool by the engineer when explaining to potential clients the
differences between engineered construction and Conventional Construction?

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA