Re: SEISMIC: Pipe Supports and Thermal Stresses

At 09:54 23/05/98 -0700, you wrote:
>I have a client asking for help in bracing some large pipes carrying both
>superheated and chilled water in an existing building and want to make sure
>I do things right.  Can someone steer me to a good reference that might help
>with the following questions:
>
>How much inter story drift can a steel pipe riser of given diameter,
>supported at floor levels in a high rise subjected to an earthquake, be
>expected to tolerate without failure?
>
>To what extent can transverse bracing on intersecting lines or elbows be
>relied upon to brace a pipe against longitudinal movement without worrying
>about breaking the intersecting pipe and/or elbow joint?
>
>How much do I have to worry about locking in thermal stresses?
>
>Can I safely ignore the effects of hydraulic forces at bends assuming normal
>flow rates?

>From John Nichols,  depends on size of force but I would do calcs and check
reaction fairly easy from Hydraulics text.  Did  truck wash down bay once.
The forces in the pipes were horrendous.  Water hammer was a problem dinna
forget to check how they controlling velocity in pipes.  Once saw a 100 mm
pipe shut off to quickly blow a pump casing to smittereens
.  good luck