Re: Tangshen

Dear Frank Lew,

Considering I eat an orange and apple for lunch each day; you might just be
right.  Let me clarify my comments a bit.  Firstly the statisitcs I refer to
come from Shiona, K., Japanese Society of Civil Engineers "Interpretation of
published data of the 1976 Tangshen, China earthquake for the determination
of a falality rate function. V11 No 4 155s-163s Jan 1995

In the mail I read this morning was the comment

"that only a small fraction of all homes in
the Bay Area will be uninhabitable. There are roughly 5 million people in 1.7
million housing units in the Bay Area. A 150,000 loss is about 9 percent of
the housing stock for the entire Bay Area - comparable to that 8 percent lost
in Watsonville in the Loma Prieta Earthquake. In the East Bay alone, the
percent loss may be as high as 10 to 20 percent . Assuming 2.5 persons per
household, that could be 375,000 homeless. "

Based on the Tangshen data at a 9 percent housing stock loss then one would
estimate would cause upto a 2 percent death rate in an Intensity 8 (MM Scale
Event).  The Newcastle earthquake at 5.5 M generated 8 in alluvial areas
killing 13 in an engineer designed structure and from falling masonry.

At a 20 percent loss in both Timber and Masonry buildings would cause a 5
percent death rate.  In the peak areas you are looking at upto 25 percent.
The Chinese engineering

In the latest National Geographic that I read last night in bed it provides
a description of a M9 earthquake in the north west area (Oregon ?) in the
last few hundred years.  I canna remember exact position or date, I will
look it up tonight.  (It is the first M9 I had read about and I wondered if
it was a mistake.  But accepting that the NG make very few mistakes i will
accept it for the moment)

A M9 is total destruction and one could expect the Tangshen death rate at
the centre 30percent.

I am concerned not with past but the future.  I accept that the provision of
code deemed to comply houses is a step accepted by the community.  That does
not mean that I accept that all its provisions are good ideas.  My timber
framed house built to a deemed to comply standard has been through two
earthquakes one at 5.5 and a southerly to about 100 mph.  Faces due south
CAtegery 1 exposure on top of a bluff,  could get worse I suppose.  The
house has many defects in its construction yet it was built by a large
British firm who employed engineers.  It was a stock standard design.

I also accept that engineers allow masonry of interesting qualities and many
other such problems.

I accept that I sometimes move out of the thread in this case there are two
or three threads running that are talking about professional standards.

But my personal opinion for what its worth is that more care should be taken
in the supervison of construction of houses, whether it is deemed to comply
or not or engineer designed.  For the reason that in an event that requires
this capacity it might just save a few lives maybe a few thousand.  Then
again is the investment worth it, at the moment I would say that the
community does not think so.  Even the engineering community is divided.

If you are going to flame me again fell free but could it wait till tomorow
casue I am trying to get a paper out to teh British masonry society Journal
and I enjoy doing this more.

LOL

John Nichols