Re: RE: Tangshen

In a message dated 5/24/98 11:03:29 PM, Dennis Wish wrote:
<<Even when life safety is the issue, codes are stonewalled from reaching

fruition because of the financial power coming from stronger lobbyist. Once

again, money rules over those without - even in life safety issues.

Dennis, you seem naively unaware that this is the land of the Golden Rule:
Those with the gold make the rules.  And it ain't gonna change, buddy.  But I
do support your efforts to improve things, as doomed as they are (unless we
have a nice juicy 8.0 in a populated area, after which everyone will bitch
about how the engineering profession failed them, right?).

Keep in mind that half (my opinion) of the people in this great land refuse to
properly use their legally-mandated seatbelts, at no cost, to improve their
own safety, and far fewer make the tiny little effort to turn on their
headlights in the daytime (per the signs) in "blood alleys" such as Hwy. 4 in
the Bay Area, again for their own good.  My own practice is primarily the tiny
fraction of homeowners who care enough about their own eq. safety to actually
do something about it--like hiring an engineer.

Guess I'm in a bad mood.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA