Re: Conventional Framing Concerns - A letter to NAHB

Dennis, I believe the approach being taken is to base the IRC on the CABO One &
Two Family Dwelling Code, with input and upgrades from the other three model
codes (UBC, NBC and SBC) and the Wood Frame Construction Manual.  The IRC is now
in the review and development phase.  AF&PA, NAHB R/C and SEAONC (and others
including APA) are participating in code review.  It seems preferable to start
with an existing code and modify it, instead of starting all over from scratch
(a formidable job). SEAOC or regional chapters should be involved in the review
process (I think SEs opinions are being heard).  In the end, it's my
understanding that the IRC will cover conventional construction for one and two
family residential buildings, and conventional construction provisions in the
IBC will be removed eventually.  Then, multi-family residential buildings for
three or more tenants, and other light frame buildings for nonresidential
applications, will have to compy with IBC engineered analysis.  At least that's
my "read" on the way this process will evolve.
John Rose/APA, Tacoma, WA