Loose Cannons Probably Won't Help and May Harm

Before you launch off to individually write to NAHB, please take a minute and
ponder these suggestions. It is quite confusing to a group like NAHB to be hit
up by single members of SEAOC with divergent thoughts.

You might avoid getting nowhere and causing more harm to SEAOC than good if
you...

First: Follow the normal protocol for cases like this is 1) Take it up with
your local board of directors within SEAOSC or other groups, then
2) Ask them to bring it up to the statewide board, then
3) Let SEAOC, SEI, or NCSEA do the talking at the national level.
You should plan on physically attending meetings and using real talk on the
phone to get your points across. Decisions are not made by email.

Second: Make your ideas for change constructive. Be specific.

Third: Seek out official support from your local and state and western
organizations before going national.

Fourth: Exhaust the normal avenues for change before resorting to whistle
blowing.

Fifth: After SEAOC, SEI, or NCSEA Board(s) give you approval to speak (this
should keep you busy for a while...) NAHB is a rather big organization so you
might want to start with someone on the NAHB staff that might know something
about earthquake-related code issues. Try Ed Sutton since he's listed as
NAHB's rep on the BSSC and is in their Construction, Codes, and Standards
Dept. Or try Bob Elliot or Kenneth Ford his predecessors.

As an aside, I thought most SEAOC members focus on bigger buildings and other
structures than homes. Are single family dwellings really the critical subject
that we want to fill up our email with? It is not that important to me.

Fred