From: Rhkratzse [mailto:Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Monday, May 25, 1998 12:39 PM
To: Lawsons(--nospam--at)home.com
Cc: wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com
Subject: Re: RE: RE: Tangshen

In a message dated 5/25/98 12:13:12 PM, Dennis Wish wrote:
<<The homeowner is really unaware of the lack of safety or performance
provisions.

Is there any way we can improve this public (un)awareness?  The Rearl Estate
sections of the Sunday papers periodically have articles about "choosing
your
house inspector," "increased probability of earthquakes," etc.  A couple of
clear, thoughtful articles comparing the (presumed) safety of engineered v.
Conventional Construction, common weaknesses in houses, etc., might be
helpful.  Any volunteer authors?  Even some excerpts from "Living in
Earthquake Country" might be useful.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA