Subject: pre engineered metal building foundations
Author:  MIME:murarjm(--nospam--at)wwics.com at INTERNET
Date:    5/26/98 3:14 AM

I would like some opinions on designing pre engineered metal building
foundations for uplift and lateral bearing & sliding.  We consider the dead
load and lateral bearing from 1/3 the stem wall length between bay spacing
will offer resistance.  ie. 30 ft bay /3 or 10 ft.  The stems and main frame
piers are cased monolithically and all reinforcement is continuos through the
piers.  Safety factors (SF) are 1.5 for silding, uplift 2.0 for overturning.
The soils are usually type 4 Table 18-1-A

Recently we reviewed a foundation plan supplied by a metal building company
in which they assumed 1/2 the bay for uplift and lateral sliding.  They
also allowed credit for the backfill material and 4" conc. floor slab and
SF 1.5 overturning.

Thanks in advance

Joe Murar P.E.