DESIGN CONTEST

I thought that our group could benefit from the following information.

From: Richard S. Sabo                         For Immediate Release

               TOP WELDING DESIGN AWARD INCREASED TO $25,000

CLEVELAND, May 22, 1998 -- The top award in the 1999 Awards for Achievement
program of the James F. Lincoln Arc Welding Foundation will be raised to
$25,000, and the total of the cash awards for the professional program will
be increased to $50,000, according to Richard S. Sabo, Executive Director
of the Foundation.  In addition to the $25,000 Best of Program Award, the
Foundation will grant one Gold Award of $10,000, two Silver Awards of
$5,000 each, and two Bronze Awards of $2,500 each, in the program, which
closes July 1, 1999.  All entries are potentially eligible for publication
in the Foundation's magazine, Welding Innovation.

"Our Trustees are dedicated to the idea that we should inspire the most
innovative work in the areas of  arc welded design, engineering, and
fabrication.  This is our challenge to the design and engineering
community: submit your very best work, and you stand to be handsomely
rewarded, with both recognition in the industry, and a generous cash
award," explained Mr. Sabo.

The Awards for Achievement are judged by a jury of experts chosen from
industry and academia, and led by Foundation Chairman Donald N. Zwiep,
Professor Emeritus and Department Head Emeritus of Mechanical Engineering,
Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

The James F. Lincoln Arc Welding Foundation, established in 1936 by The
Lincoln Electric Company to advance the science and application of arc
welding, has offered awards annually for more than six decades to recognize
superior achievement in these fields.  The Awards for Achievement rules
brochure and entry form is available online at
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/innovate.htm, and will be published in the
next issue of Welding Innovation, Vol. XV, No. 2, 1998.