RE: Conventional Construction (WAS: Architects Doing Engineering)

Dear Bill,

Wish I could put as well as this.

In relation ot Abode construction.  It is interesting but it was banned in
Italy Rome 2 millenium's ago because of the danger it presents during major
events.  (Got that from one of Grimm's recent papers.)

If you are going to construct adobe house then you should take a leaf out of
chinese book and build model and test on shaking table with 6 degrees of
freedom.  One of our guys who has reutrned from Shanghai says they have a
graveyard of buildings they have tested.

Finally standing beside a smoking hole knowing there are dead bodies inside
is really pleasant; particularly when the call is does the SE thinks its
safe to send people in to find out iffen they is dead or alive.

I am quite happy for people to decide what level of house or building they
want to live in as long as they realize thart with some of these structures
you'll use shovels to get the bodies out.  Or if it's big enough bull dozers
after a few days.

But the US has just plain been lucky so far.  But as my sainted mother God
rest her soul used to say :: There turn will come (with a big intraplate
event).  At that point it will be the structural engineers you really need
and probably the corp of engineers and a big mass graveyard and a
congressional inquiry.

That's teh problem with being a pessimist, sometimes there just isn't a
bloody glass at all.

One final story I once stood in a church with loose white fluffy asbestos
raining down from the roof ans suggested it need to be repaired.  The Church
community said no.  Very firmly.

All on committee over 40

I said fine but no one under 40 allowed in Church and I wrote out the note
that way.

The Minister asked why

I said cause asbestos tumor's rotten way to die and I not have children's
lives on my concsience.  But that it took 20 -30 yrs to develop so I not
care if the elders of church who made this decision had rotten painfull
lingering death.  The NSW Govenor had died bravely from this illness so it
was easy to point to its affects.

Funny that they voted then to replace the roof.

Afterwards teh Minister said I had done that before.  I just looked at him
and so sort of, but it just how you package the information, always use
children to sell good structural idea to church group works every time.

John Nichols