Findleton's letter to ICBO (Wood Framed Shear Wall)

Hi:

May I call you attention to a letter sent to the editor in the
March-April 1998 ICBO"s Building Standards.   Mr. J. Ronald Findleton,
Architect, Lafayette, California is holding a interesting viewpoint
about the design values provided in the UBC Chapter 23.

This is letter has the title of ?Wood Framed Shear Wall Design?.  It is
almost a page long.  Mr. Findleton stated the nailing tables in Chapter
23 have caused the ?buildings have only 30 to 50 percent of the lateral
strength required by Chapter 16 of our code?.

Will more of you with more experience in this particular area read this
letter.  Now the letter has published by Building Standard.  I think
SEAOC members should address the issue raised by him.

Thanks

Sam Chang, SE
Cupertino CA