From: FLew98 [mailto:FLew98(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 1998 5:37 PM
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject: Re: Conventional Construction (WAS: Architects Doing
Engineering)

In a message dated 98-05-26 19:25:53 EDT, bill(--nospam--at)allendesigns.com write:

>  Unfortunately, I
>  will get little satisfaction saying "Look, Frank, HERE are the bodies!"

You should live so long to be able to say that.

At some point, the Chicken Little chorus has to acknowledge that the
divergence of actual event histories from the probablelistic-based models
that
predict great carnage, just might have some explanations other than dumb
luck.
Sure, Long Beach *could* have produced more bodies had it happened when
schools were in session.  Sure, Loma Prieta *could* have produced more
bodies
had it had occurred during rush traffic on the collapsed Nimitz
double-decker.
Sure, Northridge *could* have produced more bodies had it occurred when
Bullocks was having a sale and jammed with shoppers.  But they didn't.

As for the detached single-family wood-frame houses in California's housing
stock,  if it were possible to devise a bet that could be collected beyond
our
lifetimes, I'd give you 100 to 1 odds that few bodies will be found in such
houses over the next one hundred years.

Frank Lew, SE
Orinda, CA