FW: Conventional Framing Concerns - A response from NAHB

From: Jay Crandell [mailto:jcrandell(--nospam--at)nahbrc.org]
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 1998 11:12 AM
To: Dennis S. Wish
Subject: Re: Conventional Framing Concerns - A letter to NAHB

Dennis:

Thank you for the message.  I understand your (SEAOC's) concern
regarding conventional construction.  The Housing Affordability
Through Design Efficiency (HATDE) program was designed to address
this concern.  However, the past performance of conventional
construction also points toward vast deficiencies in our manner of
engineering (i.e. determining the resistance) of these structures.
Past performance has been scientifically documented in a statistical
study of conventional construction's performance in the Northridge
Earthquake and anecdotal from others.  I am not defending
conventional construction, but frankly I think that engineering has a
long way to go also.  Perhaps engineering science and actual
performance will meet in the middle some day.  That is the
essence of the HATDE program:  developing optimized engineering
methods that will lead to affordable and safe prescriptive and
performance requirements in building codes and engineering standards.
 You should also look at the new IRC draft code, I believe it goes a
long way to addressing your concerns and the new bracing requirements
will promote safer buildings -- this effort was supported by NAHB,
NEHRP, etc. in a focused effort to address the concerns with both
engineering science inadequacies and the inadequacies (or
limitations) of conventional construction.

We will be doing a reliability study of housing performance in the
Northridge Earthquake based on our previous statistical study of
housing construction and performance for U.S. HUD.  This should lead
to some interesting conclusions about conventional constructino as
well as our seismic design codes in predicting actual performance.

Jay

> From:          "Dennis S. Wish" <wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com>
> To:            <jcrandell(--nospam--at)nahbrc.org>
> Cc:            "SEAOC Listservice" <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
> Subject:       Conventional Framing Concerns - A letter to NAHB
> Date:          Sun, 24 May 1998 00:01:22 -0700

> To Mr. Jay Crandell
> HATDE: Housing Affordability Through Design Efficiency
> National Association of Home Builders
> (1-800-638-8556) or jcrandell(--nospam--at)nahbrc.org
>
> I would like to invite you to join the SEAOC Listservice. It is very
> beneficial that you do since many of our discussions relate to our
> professional concerns over the inadequacy of Conventional Framing
standards
> in High Wind and Seismic areas of the country. There is no charge to join
> the listservice. You need only send an email message to admin(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
and
> in the body of the message type "join seaoc" (without the quotes).
>
> FOR SEAOC LIST MEMBERS READING THIS POST, PLEASE REFER TO NAHB WEB SITE
FOR
> [...]
> homes are built equal and that code compliance protects them from
excessive
> damage as well as loss of life. This is why so many home owners are
angered
> when they learn that a home performed as expected by code in spite of the
> level of structural damaged it suffered.
>
> Jay, this is a vastly debated topic. The SEAOC Listservice has 6,000
> subscribers world wide. We feel that the list is a growing voice which
> represents the needs of the vocal community. We feel that NAHB needs to
> encourage a partnership with engineers concerned with these issues.
> Membership affiliation is not enough when engineers have no idea who is
> carrying the ball in the code creation cycle. We also feel that there are
> many benefits to the Insurance industry which creates a strong allies with
> the home building associations, structural engineers and architects that
can
> instill change for the benefit of the general public.
> Please don't misunderstand. Structural Engineers Association of California
> has taken a valiant effort to improve the provisions of the code, but many
> of us feel that they do not have sufficient voting power on the ICBO
floor.

> The conventional framing section of the Uniform Building Code is
incomplete
> and contains some serious deficiencies that the local building officials
are
> powerless to enforce. In my town (La Quinta California) developers are
known
> to place undo pressure upon the local city council with threats to move
> their development to another town unless the building official allows
> compliance to conventional framing based upon the developers
interpretation
> of those missing or confusing sections of the code. For example, the
section
> on interior braced wall panels fails to prescribe the connection of the
wall
> to the structural diaphragm.
> ICBO has completed the last edition of the '97 UBC and will offer no
> revisions to this inadequate section - devoting their efforts on the
> creation of the IBC. The IBC, on the other hand, will not be adopted by
> local municipalities until approximately three years after it's initial
> publication or 2003 the earliest. So, for the next six years, the
followers
> of the prescriptive method will be allowed to construct useless or
> ineffective shear connections of interior braced panels.
> These are only a few of the inadequate provisions of the code.
>
> I would be willing to devote time to HATDE with the understanding that we
be
> allowed to post committee work on the SEAOC web or open the floor of
> discussion on the committee work to the engineers who subscribe to the
SEAOC
> Listservice. This creates a channel for International engineers interested
> in having their opinions heard but how do not have the channel to do so.
>
> I urge you to enter into this discussion on our List and use our combined
> knowledge and experiences to help create a better prescriptive code for
the
> non-professional to follow.
>
> I am active with both SEAOC and LGSEA (Light Gauge Steel Engineering
> Association - http://www.lgsea.com - which I believe NAHB is intimately
> familiar with.
>
> Please understand that are motivation is the protection of the public. We
> feel that the intent of the Conventional Framing section of the code is
> being used unethically to increase the builders profit at the expense of
the
> welfare of the general public. SEAOC's Vision 2000 promotes a performance
> based code methodology. The difference is that the owner will have the
> control of performance. The general home-buying public is at the mercy of
> unscrupulous developers who use the provisions of Conventional Framing to
> line their pockets and the ignorance of the general public to cover up
their
> actions.
>
> It is important that Structural Engineers have the lobby power to make
> constructive changes to the code for the benefit of the public. Your help
in
> this matter is greatly appreciated.
> I have taken the liberty of forwarding a copy of this letter to the SEAOC
> Listservice so that the many engineers involved in this discussion will be
> aware of your awareness of our concerns and the possibility of our
> involvement in our list.
>
> I thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.
> Sincerely
> Dennis S. Wish PE
> La Quinta, California
> wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com
>
> ICQ# 6110557
> http://wwp.mirabilis.com/6110557
>
> "The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
> Walter Bagehot

Jay Crandell
jcrandell(--nospam--at)nahbrc.org
301-249-4000 x540