Re: Correlation of structural fasteners

While many of the specs call for the same strength levels, there are wide
variations in other aspects, like head size, threaded length, and quality
assurance requirements. This issue is covered in AISC's book A Guide to
Engineering and Quality Criteria for Steel Structures: Common Questions
Answered; you can order this at www.aisc.org. The general recommendation
therein is that you should specify and use ASTM A325 and A490 whenever
possible. The other SAE and AISI specs are not specifically intended for
building structures applications.

Charlie