From: FLew98 +ADw-FLew98+AEA-aol.com+AD4-
To: seaoc+AEA-seaoc.org +ADw-seaoc+AEA-seaoc.org+AD4-
Date: Tuesday, May 26, 1998 8:26 PM
Subject: adios, auf Wiedersehen. au revoir, sayonara

+AD4-To colleagues, friends and critics on the SEAOC listserv:
+AD4-
+AD4-This posting likely will be my last one to the listserv.  I am leaving
+AD4-tomorrow on a month-long trip, and am unsubscribing from all listservs and
+AD4-usenet forums to avoid a hugh backlog of e-mail upon return.  In reflecting
on
+AD4-how my priorities and foci in life have changed since I retired a year ago,
+AD4-don't expect to rejoin the SEAOC listserv when I return.
+AD4-
+AD4-Engineering no longer is at the center of my radar screen.  Indeed, it has
+AD4-half- disappeared from the screen, displaced by new challenges and
interests.
+AD4-Lessons as a sixtysomething piano student, and the daily practice sessions,
+AD4-take up a surprising amount of time, although my progress seems as stalled
as
+AD4-the progress I've made in persuading Bill Allen to chair a SEAOSC
committee.
+AD4-It's frustrating when your brain issues an order, and the dang fingers
won't
+AD4-follow.  Equally challenging are my efforts to learn Mandarin and Spanish,
but
+AD4-in this case, the brain too often forgets what signals to send to the vocal
+AD4-chords.  And so it goes with other new and renewed interests.  But these
are
+AD4-enjoyable challenges, and I am optimistic about eventually achieving some
+AD4-modest success.    Perhaps during nostalgia attacks, I'll spend some time
at
+AD4-the SEAOC listserv's archived postings.  But daily attention to the
listserv
+AD4-and virtual jousts with folks like Dennis and Bill are in a chapter of life
+AD4-am closing.
+AD4-
+AD4-A parting observation.   Much of the traffic on this listserv can be put
into
+AD4-two broad categories.  One category is the exchange of technical
information.
+AD4-And the other is the broadcast of opinions and jeremiads.  The listserv is
+AD4-great resource and forum for seekers of technical information.  Someone
posts
+AD4-a question on, say, the interpretation of a code section, or the names of
+AD4-manufacturers of a product, or references and publications on a subject.
Most
+AD4-listserv subscribers will skim the posting, determine that he/she can or
can't
+AD4-help, and type a quick reply or hit the delete key and move on.  Most
queries
+AD4-seem to draw  one or more useful replies.  And those who reply will feel
good
+AD4-about being helpful, at just a very modest investment in time and effort,
and
+AD4-knowing that they may be the one posting the next question and being
helped.
+AD4-It's likely that many lurkers also gain useful information from these
+AD4-exchanges.  Everyone benefits.   This type of listserv traffic should be
+AD4-encouraged and expanded as much as possible.
+AD4-
+AD4-The second category generally is much less rewarding, althought some
threads
+AD4-do have the redeeming quality of at least being entertaining as
participants
+AD4-talk past each other.   Folks like Dennis and Bill like to use the listserv
as
+AD4-a soapbox to issue a call to arms for their passionate beliefs.  Come one,
+AD4-come all - it's painless, requires no significant committments of time,
energy
+AD4-and expenses.   We'll get results if we are united and just sound off.
We'll
+AD4-ship the collected  postings on this or that thread to SOMEONE or SOME
GROUP
+AD4-(don't ask who or which) who will wake up, get our messages, be convinced,
and
+AD4-lead us to our goals.
+AD4-
+AD4-Face it, virtual special-interest groups have virtual impact on the real
+AD4-world.  For most folks, other than those in high tech who seem to get rich
off
+AD4-of IPOs and stock options with little effort, the results we achieve
generally
+AD4-correlate with the time, energy, and resources we put into the effort.
It's a
+AD4-cliche, but it's also true:  to be a player or to earn respect, ya gotta
put
+AD4-your money where you mouth is.   Bill and Dennis no doubt will continue
trying
+AD4-to do it on a shoe string.  And they'll continue to be disappointed until
+AD4-they, and the engineering community at large, push some real piles of chips
+AD4-onto the come line and become stakeholders in the game.  I believe this
+AD4-listserv would be better served if the sturm und drang from this second
+AD4-category are minimized.
+AD4-
+AD4-Participating on this listserv over the last several years has been
+AD4-interesting and a mostly pleasant experience.  On numerous occasions, I was
+AD4-drawn into threads to raise some real-world factors that Dennis in his
+AD4-idealism, and Bill in his dogmatism, would not otherwise consider.   In the
+AD4-process, my image seemed to have morphed into a Scrooge-like party pooper.
+AD4-But I'm really an optimist in drag  :-))
+AD4-
+AD4-Anyone who wants to contact me in the future should address e-mail to
+AD4-f+AEA-lew.net
+AD4-
+AD4- I thank everyone for past courtesies and attention.  So long.  And .. Bah+ACE-
+AD4-Humbug+ACEAIQ-
+AD4-
+AD4-Frank Lew,  ex-SE
+AD4-Orinda, CA