Re: Engineering ethics

From: James Hagensen +ADw-JHAGENSEN+AEA-HNTB.com+AD4-
To: 'seaoc+AEA-seaoc.org' +ADw-seaoc+AEA-seaoc.org+AD4-
Date: Wednesday, May 27, 1998 7:37 PM
Subject: Engineering ethics

+AD4-I have a situation on a job where, per the UBC, special inspection was
+AD4-required on the structural roof deck.  The contract was written such
+AD4-that the special inspection for the deck welding was provided by the
+AD4-contractor.  (I know this is contrary to the UBC, but we find that this

Do not issue any letters of assurance before
1)    The work is brought up to code compliance.
2)    Monies are paid.
3)    Throwing an overtly puerile tantrum to get everyone's attention+ACEAIQAh-
4)    Notify you insurance of a potential claim.
5)    Notify your professional association of the corner you may be pushed into.
6)    Et al

I've been played the fool on this type of game once or twice or.... but then again I'm naive enough to want to help people out of their predicaments+ACE-

Thor Tandy
Victoria  BC