Re: Engineering ethics

Inform the owner (city public works dept. or chief engineer) directly,
and in writing.   CC your client.  You have an obligation to inform those
using the building if it is not safe.

Russ Nester
rnester(--nospam--at)juno.com
On Wed, 27 May 1998 21:34:59 -0500 James Hagensen <JHAGENSEN(--nospam--at)HNTB.com>
writes:
>I have a situation on a job where, per the UBC, special inspection was
>required on the structural roof deck.  The contract was written such
>that the special inspection for the deck welding was provided by the
>contractor.  (I know this is contrary to the UBC, but we find that
>this
>happens on a number of jobs since owners like to roll the inspection
>costs into one "pot of money". This client happens to be a city.
>Instead of the city hiring an inspection company (which is the logical
>way of doing it since no conflict of interest exists when the owner is
>paying for the inspections) we found out later that the contractor was
>telling the inspector when to appear on the site and specifically what
>to inspect.  We were not hired to do any construction administration
>aside from some shop drawing review.
>
>After the job was nearly completed structurally, the Architect called
>and requested that we go to the site and perform a site observation
>walk
>through.  On the walk through I noted major collector elements that
>were
>not welded and also structural deck diaphragm welding like I had never
>seen before.  80% of the roof deck had already been covered with
>insulation and roofing.  On the exposed portions of the deck I noted
>seam welds that did not even appear to tie the deck sheets together.
>The welds were supposed to be top seam welds  but instead of looking
>like a normal top seam weld, the sheets were not crimped at the weld
>location and at the weld location a hole existed.  It did not appear
>that the weld was engaging both sheets.   (At one location a support
>near a deck seam was omitted and the deck was spanning for two span
>lengths rather than only one.  I was able to step on the one sheet
>adjacent to the seam and the sheets totally separated indicating that
>there was indeed no tie between the sheets at the seam at this
>location).
>
>I wrote up a site observation report clearly stating our concerns for
>the structure's adequacy.  I understand that the strut and collector
>welds were made where they had been omitted  This all occurred a
>number
>of months ago.  The architect currently owes us a major amount of fee
>and we are at a point now where we have stated that we will do no more
>work until we get paid.  We have also found out through the grape vine
>that no special inspection or welding prequalification was ever
>performed on the roof deck as was specified.  (I could have guessed
>this.)  To our knowledge nothing has been done to remedy the problems
>on
>the roof deck and the structure is currently being used by the public.
>We have informed the registered architect of our concerns in writing
>and
>in our opinion, the structure is deficient and will not carry the
> [...]

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]