RE: Shear Wall Tests - Static vs. Dynami

Dennis,

The paper is not too long to fax (10 pages), but it is (horrors!)
*copyrighted*!  If there is a university nearby, their library might have/get
the Journal (Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, June 1998, Vol. 124,
No. 6, pgs. 686 - 695).

Since a conclusion in the paper recommends a 25 percent *decrease* in the UBC
allowable shear loads, I am going to implement this immediately.  If further
tests show that this reduction is excessive, then the design will be safe; if
further testing shows that this reduction is not needed, the design will
still be safe.  It is a win-win situation.  On the other hand, if further
tests show that there should be a greater reduction in the allowable shear
loads, then I can say that I made use of the most recent and best information
that I had.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

. > So, then the next question is why were the results different than those
. > done by APA in their Research Report 154 which justified the UBC shearwall
. > values. This falls in line with Findleton's letter in the ICBO
. > publications "Building Standards" which Bill Allen Faxed to me.
. > Neither test was done cyclically.
. >
. > Is the ASCE report too long to fax? If it is, where can I obtain it?
. >
. > At what point would you revert to more conservative values such as the
. > ASCE's?
. >
. > Dennis
. >