Re: Engineering ethics

Jim:

"CALIFORNIA ATTORNEY'S GENERAL OFFICE:  AG Opinion No. 85-208:

A regisitered engineer retained to investigate the integrity of a building
who determines, based on structural deficiencies in violation of applicable
building standards, that there is an imminent risk of serious injury to the
occupants thereof, and who is advised by the owner that no disclosure or
remedial action is intended and that such determinations are to remain
confidential, has a sworn duty to warn the identifiable occupants, or if
not feasible, to notify the local building officials or other appropriate
authority of such determinations."

The above is a start.

First, the architect appears to be no freind of yours.  You appear to be
possibly hung out to dry.  Although it is a city client, consider
contacting the city attorney.  (Has worked for me!).   The city building
department should be notified and the building probably redtagged.  If
politics gets in the way, this can be a problem.  Usually the building
department is separate from the city engineering department.

Second, contact your board of registration - in California, they will
assist you if there is a license involved.  (They've done this for me).

Third, notify your E&O people now.  Make sure they know what's going on.  I
hope that you've got as much as possible documented.

I understand that you have notified your client, but has the owner (city)
been notified?

Neil Moore, S.E.
been here before