RE: Shear Wall Tests - Static vs. Dynami

At 02:35 PM 5/28/1998 -0700, you wrote:
>Please just clarify this. Is the entire shearwall assembly  the
>consideration that APA made when rack testing their panels in Report 154 and
>158 (I misplaced 158 temporarily)?  I'm assuming this to be so, since the
>tests were performed to verify the historic values.
>Please be a bit more specific.
>Dennis

Dear Dennis,

Simpson Strong-Tie has built a dynamic test frame for the dynamic testing
of plywood shearwalls, mainly for the verification of their holdown values.
 I saw a video tape at the CSI (Construction Specification Institue) trade
show a few years back with Alan Hanson, our Simpson sales rep.  I believe
for height to width ratios of 1 to 1, 2 to 1 the values were 75% of UBC
values, 3 to 1 (1 - 4' sheet & 1 - 2' sheet vertical) had a very odd
values, 4 to 1 was 56% of UBC values.  The cause of failure were the nail
shanks breaking due to movement and then the head fell off.

Sincerely,

Patrick Rodgers