RE: I Agree with Fred !

>Square foot for square foot, by far the more difficult to review. Load
>path? Huh? A 10,000 s.f. house will normally take 10 times as long to
>review as a 10,000 office/retail/educational structure.
>
>Of course in these parts, there isn't much money to be made in SFR's for
>engineers. Conventional framing is used for the most part and an engineer
>just comes in to analyse the odd beams, girders and columns.
>
>Ted Partrick, PE
>Plan Review, Greensboro, NC

My point when I started the Tangshen thread is that it is the NC's that need
that level of detail.  When your buildings are tested it will be in one big
blast not a series like Ca where there are enough small quakes (and they are
small quakes relatively speaking with rapid east west attentuation.) to weed
out the real lemons.  It is not the building one is interested in it is
purely to save lives.

Unless the building details in the east and mid west have improved since I
lived in Mo I would suggest that the cliche applicable is walking time bomb.

The LAMB project of Abrams would suggest that the Feds may just be aware of
this problem.  The Rutherford and Chekene report on Memphis should be
required reading for all structural engineers.  I might say brilliant, but
whomever wrote the report had a more than reasonable idea of what they were
doing.  Maybe some one from that firm follows the list.

That is the other problem with hind sight its 20 : 20

Any way I have really enjoyed this debate.

john nichols