Subject:    Stress-skin panels
Author: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Date:       5/28/98 9:22 PM

An architect presented me with a package from a company in Mexico which
makes a stress-skin panel consisting of 26 gauge zinc plate on each side of
a poly-"foam" (I don't remember the exact materials) filling. There are no
ICBO reports nor any information used to design lateral or wind (normal to
panel) connections. The panels are used for bearing as well as for roof
planking and come in thickness of 4" to 12". The only structural data
available is the panel span data based upon combined gravity loads.
The architect is planing to use these system to design a bearing wall
building on government (BLM) land for an antenna manufacture who will use
the two story structure to house only electronic equipment.
I tried very hard to talk him out of the panels and promised that I would
search out a comparable product that has more structural information and
ICBO approval.
The reason for the panel need is that these antenna's are located in
accessible area's where conventional material are difficult to transport.
If anyone has some leads, please let me know.
Thank you,
Dennis Wish PE