Stress-skin panels

Dennis,

The M. M. Sundt Construction Corp. dabbled in a similar product in the late
1960's, early 1970's but with plywood or some other material as the skin.  I
believe that they got an ICBO evaluation report, but that is, of course, no
longer effective.  They never could really get the system accepted by the
industry and sold that part of the business to a company in New Mexico.  A
few years ago, I was involved in designing a mountain cabin for Bob Sundt in
which he used these panels.  As I recall, I did not use them structurally,
but supported them on a structural frame.  Like foam roofing, damn good
insulation!

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

. > An architect presented me with a package from a company in Mexico which
. > makes a stress-skin panel consisting of 26 gauge zinc plate on each side
. > of a poly-"foam" (I don't remember the exact materials) filling. There
. > are no ICBO reports nor any information used to design lateral or wind
. > (normal to panel) connections. The panels are used for bearing as well as
. > for roof planking and come in thickness of 4" to 12". The only structural
. > data available is the panel span data based upon combined gravity loads.
. > The architect is planing to use these system to design a bearing wall
. > building on government (BLM) land for an antenna manufacture who will use
. > the two story structure to house only electronic equipment. I tried very
. > hard to talk him out of the panels and promised that I would search out a
. > comparable
. > product that has more structural information and ICBO approval. The
. > reason for the panel need is that these antenna's are located in
. > accessible area's where conventional material are difficult to transport.
. > If anyone has some leads, please let me know.
. >
. > Thank you,
. > Dennis Wish PE
. >