Pile Cap (Interconnected) Tie Beams

I am looking for additional information on interconnected tie beam
requirements per the UBC "Individual pile caps and caissons of every
structure subjected to seismic forces shall be interconnected by ties"

The typical tie beam layouts I have seen followed the column grids with
tie beams on all four sides of interior columns.

I have however heard of an engineer who eliminated some of the tie beams
. Technically all of the pile caps are still interconnected (although
not on a direct path) For example a square building with 16 columns
would have 12 perimeter tie beams and 12 interior tiebeams - 4 of the
interior tie beams could be eliminated and the pile caps would still be
interconnected.

Is there a good source for background information on the intent of this
code requirement?