History of Fy in A36

We are now all well aware of the problem of A36
steels with yields closer to 50 ksi than to
36ksi.  While most of us were oblivious to this
problem until Northridge; when did this problem
actually develop?  Had strengths of supplies
gradually crept upwards over the decade before
Northridge?  Was there a sudden dramatic change
during the 70's?  Does anyone have info that could
be useful in predicting reasonable upper limits on
Fy based upon time in which the steel was erected.

Thanks
Stan Johnson, PE,  This, of course, can be a tough
one to explain to the layman.  How do you tell a
building owner that their steel may be too
strong?!

BTW:  My problem does not involve 50ksi columns vs
36 ksi beams and strong column weak beam criteria;
but instead, evaluating a section for compactness
criteria.