Base Isolator Types

What are the types of base isolators, that are commercially available or
patented but not available for building structures?

I request info from this listserv regarding the general description of the
types you know of and their working performance, especially the advantages
and disadvantages of each.

I know of only two general types and no brand names--I call them:

1.  Ball-and-socket type, using two concave bearing surfaces, rigidly fixed
to the building foundation and column bases, in contact with a rolling ball
bearing.
2.  Viscious bearing plate type, with alternating lead and steel plates, or
alternating polymeric and steel plates.

Are there more?  Are either of the two types mentioned suitable for wind as
well as seismic loads?

Your replies will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Ross Johnson
Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory (INEEL)

Ross E. Johnson, A.I.A. Architect  Id. #AR-1463
(208) 526-2431   org: 4130
E-mail address:	hns(--nospam--at)inel.gov
Facility Engineering Unit  FAX(208) 526-2681
Mechanical, Civil, & Industrial Engineering Department
Lockheed Martin Idaho Technologies Co. (LMITCO)
Idaho National Engineering & Environmental Laboratory (INEEL)
Idaho Falls, Idaho 83415-3650