Re: Pile Cap (Interconnected) Tie Beams

<<
 I have however heard of an engineer who eliminated some of the tie beams
 . Technically all of the pile caps are still interconnected (although
 not on a direct path) For example a square building with 16 columns
 would have 12 perimeter tie beams and 12 interior tiebeams - 4 of the
 interior tie beams could be eliminated and the pile caps would still be
 interconnected.

 Is there a good source for background information on the intent of this
 code requirement?

Each pile has to be tied in two directions. yes you can "eliminate" 4 interior
tie beams (the 4 interior columns will be tied the same way as the exterior
corner columns. In addition, you could theoretivally eliminate the 4 exterior
tie beams in the center byas of the perimeter columns. However I do prefer to
have a continuous tie along the perimeter.

Hope this helps
Antonio s. Luisoni
Consulting SE