Structural Base Isolator Types

I know generally of only two types of base isolators for building
structures and no brand names--I call them:

1.  Ball-and-socket type, using two concave bearing surfaces, rigidly fixed
to the building foundation and column bases, in contact with a rolling ball
bearing.
2.  Viscious bearing plate type, with alternating lead and steel plates, or
alternating polymeric and steel plates.

Are there more?  What are their comparative advantages and disadvantages?

The replies from this listserv will be greatly appreciated.  The results of
this investigation will be used to develop new types.
Thanks.

Ross Johnson, RA
Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory (INEEL)

Ross E. Johnson, A.I.A. Architect  Id. #AR-1463
(208) 526-2431   org: 4130
E-mail address:	hns(--nospam--at)inel.gov
Facility Engineering Unit  FAX(208) 526-2681
Mechanical, Civil, & Industrial Engineering Department
Lockheed Martin Idaho Technologies Co. (LMITCO)
Idaho National Engineering & Environmental Laboratory (INEEL)
Idaho Falls, Idaho 83415-3650